Rock Ford is always seeking volunteer docents (guides), gardeners, committee members, and enthusiastic volunteers with a love of history. Our volunteers connect Rock Ford's past to our present through house tours, educational programs and special events.
An interpreter or docent is someone who translates the past into the present. A docent makes Rock Ford's past vivid and real for museum visitors. A docent acts as a companion accompanying a visitor on a personal and historical discovery.
- A docent can be any person aged 18 and up.
- No experience is necessary.
- Training will be provided by the Rock Ford Curator.
- Printed materials are provided so that all docents can become confident, successful and valuable members of Rock Ford Plantation.
- A docent should have the ability to be on your feet for an hour and the ability to climb stairs.
Docents are asked to commit to at least 2 three-hour shifts during the tour season (April 1 through October 31). Any additional volunteer hours are always welcome and greatly appreciated.
A volunteer is a person who gives their time and talents to research, beautify and/or maintain one of Lancaster's richest resources. Your special talent or interest can help benefit Rock Ford.
Docents and Volunteers should have an interest in history and appreciation of our nation's heritage; and enjoyment of working with adults and children; good communication skills; and a pleasing manner.
If you would like to learn more about becoming a Docent or a Volunteer, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact the Rock Ford office at 717-392-7223.
Return the Volunteer Information Form or Docent Form (above) to:
Rock Ford Plantation
881 Rockford Road
Lancaster, PA 17602