Rock Ford is always seeking volunteer tour guides, gardeners, committee members, and enthusiastic volunteers with a love of history. Our volunteers connect Rock Ford's past to our present through house tours, educational programs and special events.
The volunteer enrollment process consists of the following steps: Submission of the volunteer application form, meeting with the Volunteer Coordinator, completion of training and studying for preparation of giving tours.
A tour guide is someone who translates the past into the present and makes Rock Ford's past vivid and real for museum visitors. A tour guide acts as a companion accompanying a visitor on a personal and historical discovery.
- A tour guide can be any person aged 18 and up.
- No experience is necessary.
- Training will be provided.
- Printed materials are provided so that all tour guides can become confident, successful and valuable members of Rock Ford Plantation.
- A tour guide should have the ability to be on your feet for an hour and the ability to climb stairs.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Must have an email address.
- Friendly and helpful nature.
Tour guides are asked to commit to at least 2 three-hour shifts during the tour season (April through October). Any additional volunteer hours are always welcome and greatly appreciated.
A volunteer is a person who gives their time and talents to research, beautify and/or maintain one of Lancaster's richest resources. Your special talent or interest can help benefit Rock Ford.
Tour guides and volunteers should have an interest in history and appreciation of our nation's heritage; an enjoyment of working with adults and children; good communication skills; and a pleasing manner.
If you would like to learn more about becoming a Docent or a Volunteer, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com. You may also contact the Rock Ford office at 717-392-7223.
Return the Volunteer Information Form or Docent Form (above) to:
Rock Ford Plantation
881 Rockford Road
Lancaster, PA 17602